Trueman Vineyards is looking for a Vineyard / Winemaking Assistant – we require a hard-working, self-motivated, and high-energy individual to join our team full time. This is an excellent opportunity for an aspiring viticulturist. This person will play an active role in the production of 8 acres worth of grapes that have contributed to award-winning wines using a combination of traditional and cutting-edge viticulture techniques. You will also gain experiences in winery design, construction, and wine making. If you are a reliable, hard worker with a positive attitude this is a great opportunity to get your foot in the door at one of the Southern Maryland’s Legacy Wine Trail’s historic farms, soon-to-be winery! Please forward a cover letter, resume, and references to Joel Butson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full-Time (40 hours/wk average)
Salary is commensurate with experience. In the 2nd month a raise is awarded if an employee demonstrates punctuality, dependability, mechanical aptitude, ability to successfully achieve goals with minimal supervision. Bonuses are also available for outstanding performance throughout a harvest or pruning season.
Include but are not limited to the following. Trueman Vineyards reserves the right to add to, delete, change or modify the essential duties and responsibilities at any time. All work is to be completed with minimum supervision and in accordance with safety standards and maintain a high level of vine health, vineyard and winery integrity.
- Establish and maintain vineyards, including planting, trellis installation/repair, pruning, tape trunks and canes, cluster thinning, leaf pulling, hedging, lateral removal
- Survey vineyard conditions, monitor for pests and diseases
- Collect fruit samples for maturation analysis
- Estimate crop load
- Hand harvest grapes, clean lugs, bins and picking equipment
- Assist in making wine, to include fermentation, monitoring wine in barrels/tanks, lab analyses, bottling and clean up.
- Other duties as assigned
Physical Requirements and Skills:
- Able to work ten hour-plus shifts, with extended standing/walking
- Able to work while bending, twisting, squatting, pushing and pulling
- Capable of lifting materials and/or product up to 50 pounds or more
- Able to work in varying weather conditions
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and lead others effectively
- Sense of ownership and pride in personal performance and its impact on success
- The ability to encourage co-workers to adhere to the standards of Trueman Vineyards.
- Able to prioritize, meet deadlines with accuracy and work with minimal supervision
- At least one year of Vineyard, construction, or farm hand experience
- Solid track record of success in previous assignments
- Provide contact information for at least 3 former employers
- Strong communication skills, bilingual in Spanish is preferred
- Must be dependable, reliable, and self-motivated
- Experience operating tractors / farm equipment, construction and/or landscaping is desired