The Historic Garden Assistant is responsible for providing support to help propagate and maintain the historic gardens and fields on the two hundred acres of Piscataway Park managed by the Accokeek Foundation. The Accokeek Foundation maintains a kitchen garden and field demonstration spaces representing crops typically grown during the late 18th century of a middling family homestead. The foundation seeks to preserve heirloom varieties of crops while using regenerative agriculture practices.
Specific duties and responsibilities will include:
- greenhouse work: seeding, transplanting and watering;
- garden/field work: bed prep, planting, weeding, harvesting, irrigation, laying mulch, compost turning, garden clean-up at end of season;
- garden scouting: monitor plant health and pest pressure;
- property maintenance: mowing, trimming, planting, weeding, operating heavy machinery;
- assisting in regenerative agriculture research and documentation;
- supervising volunteers in gardening and regenerative agriculture activities.
Additional Duties will include:
- supporting holistic grazing of heritage breed animals across site as needed;
- supporting foundation events and programs as needed;
- other duties as assigned.
View full job description and how to apply at www.accokeekfoundation.org