The Accokeek Foundation maintains heritage breeds of livestock and poultry, some of the breeds are typical of a late 18th century middling family homestead as demonstrated by the National Colonial Farm. The Foundation’s livestock collection serves three purposes: the first is to provide authentic period breeds for the interpretation as the National Colonial Farm; the second, to maintain living collections that protect and preserve the genetic diversity of our agricultural heritage; and the third is to steward the pastoral landscape through regenerative agriculture practices.
The Heritage Livestock Farm Assistant will serve as an integral team member of the Agriculture program providing support primarily to the Foundation’s Heritage Breed Livestock Program as well as general Agriculture and Natural Resources operations.
Primary responsibilities include:
Heritage Breed Livestock Program
- Animal care to include daily feeding, watering, and monitoring of Heritage Breed cattle, sheep, hogs, chickens and turkeys and cleaning of livestock enclosures.
- Rotational Grazing. Assist with maintaining healthy pastures according to the rotational, multi-species grazing plan to include moving animals and the setting up and taking down of temporary fences in pastures as directed.
- Record-keeping. Assist with maintaining animal health, birth, fleece, and pasture records.
- Livestock Facilities. Maintain safe, orderly, and sanitary livestock and poultry housing, fence lines and infrastructure, tools, and equipment related to daily farm operations.
- Support Livestock Farmhand volunteer program to include on-site supervision and training of volunteers.
Additional responsibilities include:
General Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Garden and Field Crops. Assist in maintaining crop and garden spaces for interpretation.
- Natural Resource Stewardship. Assist in maintaining the viewshed and native landscape.
General Public Education, Programs, and Events
- Education and Programs. Work with students, interns, volunteers, and the general public to support the Foundation’s Agricultural and Education programs.
- Special Events. Assist with special events and interpretative programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
View full job description and how to apply at www.accokeekfoundation.org