Maryland Grazing School
September 23 @ 8:00 am - September 24 @ 5:00 pm$150
Designed with producer interests in mind, this 2-day grazing school will offer a more in-depth education on pasture and grazing management. Come learn everything you need to know to better manage grazing on your farm!
- Forage identification and selection
- Assessing and monitoring pasture health
- Methods for measuring forage yield
- Principles of pasture management
- Pasture allocation (grazer’s math)
- Fencing and watering options
- Strategies to extend the grazing season
- Managing for soil health and fertility
- Matching forage quality with animal needs
- Designing a rotational grazing system
This course features multiple hands-on exercises to provide you with opportunities to work with grazing tools and fencing materials. Enrollment is limited to 30 people to keep the group small and allow for more interaction and networking opportunities. You will also have an opportunity to sit down with an instructor to begin developing a customized grazing plan for your farm.
The event runs from 8 AM to 5 PM each day. Lunch will be provided each day, as well as dinner on Thursday evening. Activities will take place both indoors and outdoors, so be sure to plan accordingly.
This event is brought to you by University of Maryland Extension, the Maryland-Delaware Forage Council, Maryland Grazers Network, NE SARE, Future Harvest, and American Farmland Trust. Thank you to our event partners!