The Accokeek Foundation manages approximately 200 acres of land for public use within Piscataway Park, a national park located in Prince George’s County. The site includes heirloom gardens, pasture lands, wetlands, and a native food forest. Seasonal farm and forestry assistants work alongside with the Foundation’s agriculture team to cultivate and promote ecological balance within the park.
Primary responsibilities include assisting with:
● Implementing crop plans;
● Maintaining growing areas and nurseries to include: planting, weeding, watering, plant propagation, pest management, and harvesting;
● Invasive species management;
● Public engagement with agricultural demonstration spaces;
● Supporting management and care of heritage breed livestock;
● Maintaining general site organization and tidiness.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
This position is ideal for a candidate looking to develop and build upon skills and valuable experience in regenerative agriculture, permaculture and forestry management. Candidates with a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience are encouraged to apply. Additional qualifications include:
● Trained in gardening, permaculture design or similar field;
● Knowledge of and/or experience in agroforestry
● Experience and comfort working with livestock .
● Good communication, interpersonal, and computer skills;
● Detail oriented and fast paced;
● Have some experience using small to medium size farm machinery;
● Able to lift 50 lbs and prepared to engage agricultural work in most weather conditions;
● Have a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and a good driving record.
This is a part-time, seasonal position that pays $11.50/hour with up to 30 hours per week available, and
occasional weekend hours required.
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter describing how your experience, skills, and interests make you uniquely qualified for this position by email with the subject line “Seasonal Farm Assistant” to